Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tips for Strassing your Louboutins (or other shoes!!)

I have been a long-time wearer of Louboutins, and have always wanted a strassed pair.  However, I just couldn't justify spending +$3000 on them, especially when I am such a crafty person, and I knew that I would gain so much pleasure (and stress, little did I know) from strassing a pair myself.  My solution, you ask?  I decided to take a pair that I rarely wore and turn them into some blingin' beauties.  Now, I became very lucky with this deal because my aunt actually gave me this pair because they were too big for her (it's great to have an aunt with the same shoe size!!), so I didn't spend anything on the shoes.  The crystals were around $400, and the extra tools around $10.  

Here's a tip if you don't have any old Louboutins laying around (or an Aunt whose closet you can raid).  A lot of people go onto ebay and purchase an old beat up pair.  You are going to be re-doing the entire outside with crystals anyways, so the shoe doesn't need to be perfect.  I've seen some styles of Louboutins go for as little as $100 on ebay.  

Secondly, you want to make sure the shoe matches the color of crystals that you are planning to use.  For me, my shoes were already black, and I chose to use Swarovski Jet Hematite Crystals (Sparkly Black) so the background already matched the shoe.  If you have a purple pair of shoes, but you are planning to crystalize your shoes with pink Swarovski crystals, I would first dye your shoes to closely match the pink color you are planning to use.  

For the crystals, I would recommend purchasing Swarovski, as they give the most sparkle.  I purchased mine on ebay, and the higher quantities you purchase them in, the cheaper they get.  I purchased in various sizes, with the smallest being 5ss and the largest being 20ss.  I would recommend purchasing at least 5 different sizes, so you have a good variety on your shoes.  It's good to have larger sizes to begin with and then baby crystals to fill in the smaller areas as you close in.

As for tools, I recommend Gem-Tac for gluing the crystals down.  It is a really strong adhesive and keeps the crystals on nice and tight.  Don't worry about the glue looking white when it first goes on- it will dry clear and no one will know that you've made a mess of the glue.  For putting the crystals on, there are various tools you can use, and I've tried them all!  I love the jewel setter tool that has a sticky end that grabs the crystal and helps you put it on the shoes.  And tweezers also work well for putting in the teeny tiny crystals toward the end.

For spacing, you can put things as close or spaced out as you like.  I choose to put mine closer together because I am very picky about the ways things look, however if you try to get it perfect, you will drive yourself insane!!!

So, let's begin!

Tools I used: Gem-Tac, Jewel-Setter, and various sizes of Swarovski Crystals



A BEFORE photo of my shoes

The first crystals are put on my shoes!  I chose to start with the larger crystals first and put them on randomly throughout.  Some people start in one place and fill in the whole area as they go.  I found the way I did it much easier so I didn't worry about which size crystals to use in each area and I would have even amounts of crystals throughout.


I continued to add the larger size crystals throughout.  Don't worry that you are adding too many!  Trust me, once you start adding the smaller crystals, you'll wish you added more of the larger ones.

Now I have started filling in the areas with the medium and smaller sized crystals, working my way throughout the shoe.

After around 40 hours of work, I have a beautiful pair of strassed Louboutins!!






31 comments:

  1. Wow, I would never have thought that was a DIY project....those look great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lindy!!! I will be posting more DIY projects on here in the future (I'm currently working on studding a bag, and have been working on painting an LV bag for a long time!!) Please feel free to follow me for future postings!!!

      Delete
  2. Very pretty! You did a great job!

    ~ Di :)

    momsgotabrandnewbag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Di!!! I will be sure to check out your blog also!!

      Delete
  3. Awesome, these are absolutely gorgeous. You are very talented��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Char!! I really appreciate your kind compliments :)

      Delete
  4. These look amazing!

    Well, I don't have a pair of Louboutins, but you've inspired me to practice on a plain pair of silver heels that I do have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay!!! I love that I can inspire people to be creative!! Please let me know if you have any questions as you are working on your shoes!! And I would love to see the finished product!! Thank you for the nice compliments and looking at my blog! :)

      Delete
  5. Great job! I love bling shoes and the jet hematite is great choice because it's very versatile color. Nicely done!

    I notice on pic that you prefer not to send down your patent. Have you experience any fallen crystal off? Love, Hong

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Hong!!! The crystals are stuck on so tightly that I wouldn't be able to pull them off even if I tried!! haha. I think that gem-tac is like super glue for these crystals. Thanks for your nice compliments! xoxo. Love, Allison

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow I'm delighted with the result :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The process took awhile but the result was totally worth it!

      Delete
  8. if i had a pair of loubous, i would be TERRIFIED of doing that, lol!! but you did an amazing job!

    p.s. i would love to follow each other...following :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rimi! I was a little frightened at first (to be quite honest), but once I got going, it was quite easy! :)

      Delete
  9. OMG! I can't believe you actually did this to a pair of Louboutins, BUT it turned out great!! Amazing! You really must have some patience to glue on the crystals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! It did take a lot of time, but it was well worth the effort! :)

      Delete
  10. this is the side of fashion that intrigues me the most... taking risks (with a pair of louboutins no less!) and making something your own. you did an incredible job. following. <3

    XxxXchi

    dressyouinkillers.blogspot.com
    shoproadkillers.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thank you so much! It's always so nice to get compliments like this! :)

      Delete
  11. OMG! AMAZING :)
    LOVE LOVE LOVE

    xoxo'
    www.thereal-cinderella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, the end result is seriously amazing - you'd never know that they weren't purchased this way! Magnificent job! Following you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thank you so much!! You're very sweet!!

      Delete
  13. Hello, I enjoy reading all of your article.
    I wanted to write a little comment to support you.


    Here is my web site - Christian Louboutin shoes

    ReplyDelete
  14. My family members all the time say that I am killing my
    time here at web, except I know I am getting familiarity every day by reading thes fastidious articles or reviews.


    Take a look at my web site; Christian Louboutin sale

    ReplyDelete
  15. Attractive portion of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to claim that I get in fact loved
    account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing
    on your feeds and even I success you get right of entry to consistently
    fast.

    Look at my site ... cheap red bottoms

    ReplyDelete
  16. I seldom drop comments, however i did some searching and wound
    up here "Tips for Strassing your Louboutins (or other shoes!!)".
    And I do have 2 questions for you if it's allright. Could it be simply me or does it look like a few of the responses look as if they are coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting at other online sites, I would like to follow everything fresh you have to post. Would you make a list of every one of your social pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

    Here is my blog - Louboutin Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can you tell us more about this? I'd love to find out more details.

    Feel free to visit my web blog ... Louboutin Sale

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it when folks get together and share ideas.
    Great website, stick with it!

    Also visit my site :: christian louboutin australia

    ReplyDelete
  19. If some one needs to be updated with latest technologies then he must be pay
    a quick visit this site and be up to date all the time.



    Also visit my page: Christian Louboutin shoes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate
    your efforts and I will be waiting for your
    further post thanks once again.

    Stop by my blog post ... red bottom shoes for women

    ReplyDelete
  21. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your
    sites really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back down the road. Cheers

    My page :: red bottom shoes

    ReplyDelete