Tuesday, April 10, 2012

DIY: Making Accessories with your Chanel Camellias

Over the years, I've accumulated a number of Camellia flowers that come wrapped on boxes from the Chanel boutique.  Some of my friends go nuts over these flowers, and stick them all over things, but for myself, I never really saw the appeal, and just ended up tossing them in the back of my closet.  But because I recently started making a lot of DIY accessories, I realized that the Chanel Camellia could be used as a really great foundation for making something fun.  For this DIY, I decided to accessorize two Camellia flowers (making one more classic and another more edgy), and have attached standard hair clips on the back.  By attaching the hair clips, the Camellias become very versatile, as they can be used in not only your hair, but can also be attached to rings, bracelets and necklaces.

What you need to do this DIY: a Chanel Camellia or other basic flower.  You can purchase any plain flower at a craft store such as Jo-Anns or Michaels.  Or, you can cut one off that old thing of fake flowers your mom has sitting on her dining room table.  Trust me, she won't notice.  You'll also need some flatback crystals (I recommend Swarovski), and/or flatback pearls.  These can also be purchased at a craft store.  For attaching the crystals and pearls, I used Gem-Tac (the same thing I used when strassing my Louboutins, another DIY which can be found here).  I also used a gem-setter, but honestly you may not need one, it depends on the number of stones you are planning to attach, and how small they will be.  You will also need a pack of hair clips, which can be purchased for around $3/set of 4 at a craft store.  It's great to do this project with a friend, because then you can split supplies.

The total time it took me to do this was about 15 minutes.  So let's begin!

Start with a Chanel Camellia (or other flower).


Use flatback pearls & crystals.

Gem-Tac is a great adhesive for applying stones.  You may also want to use a gem-setter.

You can purchase a cheap pack of hair clips for around $3/set of 4 at any craft store.

For the classic Camellia, I started by alternating between pearl and crystal along the edges.


Within a few minutes the whole thing is complete, and has a classic look. (White pearls, and Swarovski AB crystals- they give off many colors)

For the edgier version, I used only Swarovski crystals, and just filled the crystals randomly throughout.

Within a few minutes, the Camellia has been filled.  (Swarovski AB and Jet Hematite)

Using Gem-Tac, I then glued clips on the back.


Using the clips, you can attach the Camellias onto rings.  You can also glue them onto rings, I just chose the clip option so the Camellias could be used as convertible jewelry.






And my personal favorite- you can attach them onto pearl necklaces.  As you can see, I've shown many different examples of how they can be worn with different colors/lengths/sizes of pearl necklaces.  I love how they look individually and paired together.  I think I'm going to be wearing the Camellias much more often now. :)

100 comments:

  1. Oh what a fun DIY! They look pretty attached to the necklaces!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yi-chia! I like them the best when they are attached to the necklaces as well!

      Delete
  2. very cool! so talented :) xx

    www.lovelywanderlust.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog dear! Wow, you're so talented...this DIY tutorial is great! Definitely going to try it out sometime :) If you like my blog, do you want to follow each other?
    xoxo Jess
    www.stylizedluxe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I would love to see your finished project! I hope you will share with me if you do try this DIY! :)
      I would love to follow you :)

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous idea. Despite a few purchases from the boutique, I've never gotten a camellia! sad :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww...if I had any extras, I would send you one, but now I few of my blogging friends have claimed my extras so they can do a DIY.

      I have friends who will purchase specifically from the boutique (rather than Saks & Bloomies) just so they can get the lovely ribbon/camellia on their packaging. It's strange that you've never gotten one!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! never thought of that! they are too pretty to be thrown away! thanks allison. : )

    do feel free to check out my blog at http://apopofpurple.wordpress.com/ and don't forget to leave a comment when you're there!

    thanks
    xo jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very nice DIY! I prefer the edgy one!
    http://violetcatstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irina! I love the edgy one also!!

      Delete
  7. thanks for visiting by Allison. lovely accessories btw. so pretty ^^
    yea if you want, we can keep in-touch through bloglovin.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cath! I would love to follow each other!

      Delete
    2. thanks for the add Ally!
      kk. returning the favour now :D
      keep in touch via bloglovin~

      xx

      Delete
  8. you have a lovely blog ! you should get into business and do those etsy diy (:
    new follower<3

    xoxo
    http://foreveralifestyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What a nice compliment! Maybe one day I will start my own DIY business!

      Delete
  9. I love it, nice DIY!
    Of courses we can follow each other! I'm your new follower, u can follow me on fbk too!

    http://leguidedelama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really love it!
    www.smnth-s.blogspot.com
    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so lovely! Great idea!
    Follow you now
    xoxo

    www.secretsofmissdaisy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great DIY-Idea! It looks so great on the pearl neacklace. I love the Chanel Flowers. What did you bought that you get so much of them? :))

    Great blog btw, hope you will stop at mine sometime :)

    xxx Magdalena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magdalena! I've collected them over the years from purchasing various handbags. Yes, I have a bit of a Chanel addiction. :) I would love to stop by your blog!

      Delete
  13. ohh adorable dear!!love it!!
    xoxo=)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is a GREAT DIY!
    I am obsessed with chanel darling and think I just fell in love!
    Thanks for sharing

    Xoxo Lil
    www.studsandsapphires.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool DIY!



    http://style-chameleon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, thanks for stopping by Wrinkled Chiffon! I'm so glad you enjoyed my Linen and Leather post. I just love your post today...how creative and different! Thanks so much for sharing. I hope you stop by and say hello again and follow along in my adventures - through fashion and travel!

    xo Grace
    www.wrinkledchiffon.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so pretty! I never thought to do something like this but it really dresses up your pearl necklace! Thank you for visiting my blog, I am following and very much look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You are so sweet!

      Delete
  18. darling this post is amazing and your blog too, you have a new follower pls support me back many kisses from,
    http://littlefashionwhitelies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thanks for following me! I will definitely check out your blog as well! :)

      Delete
  19. What an amazing idea ! I'm definitely going to try this !!

    Love your blog :)

    Hope you'll visit mine and tell me if you like it :)!

    xxx

    S'LK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do hope that you'll share your final results with me when you complete your flower! I will definitely visit your blog :)

      Delete
  20. wow so pretty. Im just not that creative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm sure you are more creative than you think! :)

      Delete
  21. Hello swetie!

    thanks for your comment.

    Your are so creative, I Love your ideas and the flower so cute.

    XOXO
    http://annchic.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  22. It look so pretty, I will try it with my Chanel flowers, such a great idea. Thanks for visited my blog, and of course I would happy to follow each other, I'm following you now, hope to see you do the same thing soon.
    xoxo
    Christy

    http://am2pmchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! what an amazing idea!!!! i never thought o do that with mine. i would love to try adding little embellishments on mine and turning them into something like you did~ so clever and neat all at once, love! i'm so glad that I accidentally stumbled across your blog. Love your taste, and you're so pretty too! Would love to start following you, hope you follow me too! xO!
    www.thehautecookie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I would love to see your end result!!

      Delete
  24. wow this is so nice ! good idea ;)

    http://www.lejournaldefleurs.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a good idea, I love it!

    Lovely blog, defiantly worth a follow :)

    Ruth xxxx

    http://theclothesimin.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice DIY! You 've ended up with such an elegant result!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and for your nice comment! I now follow you via GFC and I hope you feel like following me back! xxx

    http://fashionatint.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a cute idea! I especially love them with the pearls.

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pearls & Chanel never go wrong! ;p

    http://www.StyleAt30.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. amazing DIY, you are so talented! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Blush! You are so sweet!

      Delete
  30. I love this idea! You are quite the creative little bugger. Love how your blog has blossomed. :) xoxo Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thank you so much, Mon! xoxo.

      Delete
  31. thanks for your comment! and sure would love to follow each other! following you!
    x


    SHOPSTYLECONQUER.COM

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a neat tutorial! Thanks for sharing! Keep in touch!

    Amanda
    http://easy-life-blog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. OH WOW, I've not thought of that. It looks AMAZING! gonna go look for all my Chanel Camellias and try out the DIY

    http://www.memoriesmelange.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Yukiko! I hope you will share your end result with me! :)

      Delete
  34. Brilliant! Love this cute DYI post of yours. Got me something stylish to do for this weekend.

    buy wow accounts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so excited that other people are wanting to try out this DIY! :)

      Delete
  35. Amazing!!! I love this flower!! I need one!

    Tks and kisses from Brazil!!

    www.modebrasilis.blogspot.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG so lovely!! :)

    http://alovelystyle.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  37. thanks for this post, very creative and cute, definately something I will try!

    http://fashioncherry.co/knocked-up-nails-safe-nail-polish-for-moms-to-be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so excited that you will try this!

      Delete
  38. that looks awesome clipped to the beads!

    ReplyDelete
  39. now that's both cute and creative! thanks for the idea! :)
    followed you already :)

    http://mytailoredtales.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. wauw, lovely job !

    follow me? i follow you!
    xoxo linlicious-style.nl

    ReplyDelete
  41. Please show us more "make it yourself" ideas! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise I will put a new one up this week! :)

      Delete