Saturday, April 28, 2012

DIY: Reworking a Vintage Bag, 2 Liebster Noms & Get to Know Me Tag!

These past few days have been insanely busy!  I've been finishing up this DIY, and I found out today that I was nominated for 2 Liebster Awards from Laura @ Great Little Day & from Brooke @ What2Wear.  I really admire both of these amazing women & consider their blogs great reads.  The rules of the Liebster Award will only allow me to accept & pass forward if I have less than 200 followers, and last night as I slept, I broke through 200!!!  So, I can't pass this award along, but I have to thank them for thinking of me!!!  I was also surprised to find out that I was tagged in a Get to Know Me post by Jan M @ Jan M Loves.  I've answered her questions below the DIY project, so if you want to read them, scroll down after the DIY!


Now, for the DIY- Don't go screaming purse abuse just yet!  I know that many of you are wondering what would possess me to paint over a Louis Vuitton bag.  Can you believe that I purchased this bag for the purpose of painting it?  Really, I did.  I decided a long time ago that I wanted a custom painted LV bag, but I obviously wasn't going to buy a brand new bag and destroy it, so I purchased a used LV bag off ebay for a low price.  The condition wasn't the best, but if you are going to do a DIY, it doesn't have to be.  The purse sat at my working desk for nearly 2 years, and I guarantee my friends probably wondered why I just had a random bag on my art desk.  Anyways, I think this is a fun DIY way to rework a vintage bag that needs an uplift- it's a way to make something uniquely yours.  Of course, as you guys well know at this point, Hello Kitty has my heart, so I customized mine in HK style.  


What you need for this DIY: Vintage purse (LV bags are great because you are painting on a canvas- contrary to what many believe, LV bags are not made of leather, but are made of coated canvas, so as an artist, they make a great base!)  However, any vintage bag that needs to be reworked will do.  You will also need a variety of paintbrushes.  I know for previous DIYs, I told you to buy cheap sets of brushes (around $3-4/set of 5 brushes at places like Michaels), and you can still do that if you aren't planning to get too detailed in your work, but if you are, you may want to invest in some better brushes (around $8-10 for nicer brushes).  You will also need paint, and I would not recommend using craft paint for this project, but would use acrylics instead.  Also, it's important to buy Opaque Acrylic colors, so the color isn't translucent when you paint it.  Colors are around $7-10 each, but you can always find sales at places like Aaron's Brothers & Michaels.


So, let's begin!


P.S. If you're already not into this DIY, did you see my Painted Clutch DIY?  It's a much simpler DIY and is perfect for summer!

Make sure you use acrylic paint for this DIY, and not craft paint.  It will be easier to paint, and the results will last longer.

 Make sure the paints are Opaque and not Translucent, or else you will be painting multiple coats!

Get a variety of brushes.

The first layer is on!  What could I be painting?

Does the red bow give it away?

I've added details in yellow & black.


And now for the final touch!  A blue outline for Hello Kitty!



What do you guys think of the finished DIY?


And now, here are my answers from the Get to Know Me post by Jan M @ Jan M Loves!


Jan chose to ask me the following questions:
Where would you like to be right at this moment?
What are your top 3 dream jobs?
What will you do if you won the lottery jackpot?
Shoes or bags?
What is the best advice you have about relationships?
Where do you shop the most?
Is there a thing you'd like to change about yourself?
What's your favorite nail polish?
What was your worst impulsive buying moment?
What beauty products do you use everyday?



Continue reading to find my answers to Jan M's questions!
Where would you like to be right at this moment?
Somewhere tropical, in a bikini, margarita in hand.
What are your top 3 dream jobs?
1) Professor of Modern Art; 2) Director of large art museum (such as LACMA); 3) Editor of Vogue
What will you do if you won the lottery jackpot?
It depends on how much it is.  I think I would donate a majority of it to organizations that I'm really supportive of and I would probably travel, a lot.
Shoes or bags?
Ughhh this is really tough for me!!  If it comes down to it...bags...I think.
What is the best advice you have about relationships?
Stay true to who you are in the relationship, and always value what your partner brings into the relationship.
Where do you shop the most?
H&M

Is there a thing you'd like to change about yourself?
Nope.  I think you eventually outgrow that stage.
What's your favorite nail polish?
I don't have a favorite brand really, because I honestly rarely wear it, but right now I love anything mint colored.
What was your worst impulsive buying moment?
I don't know that I've had any.  I really think things through before I buy them.
What beauty products do you use everyday?
I just this lotion called Purpose on my face everyday.  It's like $8 at Target and it's the only one that doesn't irritate my very sensitive skin.  I also have to use mascara, and I have been using Lorac Visual Effects for a few years now, and don't plan on switching.
Pin It

131 comments:

  1. Great post, and you're a great artist! I'd be too scared to paint anything on my designer purses lol!

    http://annasui.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I bought this purse just to paint it. I know, I'm insane! Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Yay for DIY I just added another project to my list haha! You are so creative :)
    Brooke @ what2wear, Monikabrooke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brooke! I would love to see what you come up with!!

      Delete
  3. wouaw! I'd be scared too to paint :/
    but good result!

    http://leguidedelama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhhh! it is amazing

    xx

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are so talented and creative!!! This looks so nice, very good job:-)
    Have a nice day!

    http://whoateallthestrawberries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your sweet comment and for following! Following you back!

    Kisses
    Out Of The Box

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHHH! I LOVE YOUR DIY!!! :D

    Please join my first international giveaway here:
    http://wonderwomanrises.blogspot.com/2012/04/wonder-woman-x-blue-vanilla-signature.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute bag and a great idea, so creative!

    xx

    http://girlonbroughtonstreet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think that I would be able to do this to a designer bag. The reason is simple, I not that good at drawing :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try it with any vintage bag that needs an uplift. It doesn't have to be designer! :)

      Delete
  10. What a great idea--you're very creative! Great answers--enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That came out great! Love it!

    <a href="http://keeponstylin.blogspot.com/>KeepOnStylin.blogspot.com</a>

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...love love love your DIY !!!!!

    Thanks for your nice comment, of course i am following you too know.

    kisses from germany!

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing job!! I couldnt do this!!

    Check out my newest giveaway!
    XX
    Jessie
    www.87life.net
    Check out 87Life on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessie! I think you could do it! :)

      Delete
  14. Allison, I didn't know you were such a good artist, I'd love to see more of your artwork! Ok, I think I'm too scared to paint onto one of my purses for fear of totally ruining it... but how cute is kitty on your LV?! Another reason we are really long lost soul sisters. :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thank you Yi-chia! You are so sweet!! The reason that painting LV bags is so great is because they are canvas, so if you make mistakes you can paint over them, just like on a real canvas, so don't be afraid of ruining it! I think you would create something amazing!! :)

      Delete
  15. I think you did an amazing job on that LV bag! Even though it was a vintage bag the condition was still great and honestly...can you imagine a HK and LV collaboration? It'd be easily $1K+ pricetag like the murakami line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! If LV and HK had a collaboration, I would have to buy every piece in the collection. My friends and I talk about this constantly, and are still not sure why this hasn't happened yet!! It would definitely be the most popular line LV has ever created!

      Delete
  16. This. is. amazing. I love what you did with the bag and you are a great artist! This post just reminded me of the white canvas shoes I bought about a year ago that are still in the basket next to my desk, haha! Hopefully I'll finally get to those soon.

    - Nita
    travelinginflats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nita! Speaking of white canvas shoes...I might just be working on something with a pair for my next DIY! :)

      Delete
  17. Hi Allison,

    Thank you for your comment and feedback about your watch :) I really like your style and I'm now following you on Facebook and Google Friend Connect.

    I have a vintage LV as well and have been wondering how to spice it up. This tutorial will come in handy. Thanks!

    Samantha
    http://www.style-pick.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Style-Pick/223520371074339
    @Samantha_Zhi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Samantha! I hope if you do rework your vintage LV, you share a photo with me!!

      Delete
  18. Amazing DIY !!! Thanks sweetheart for your nice comment. Sure I'd love to follow each other ! Just followed, now waiting for you to follow back ! Have a wonderful sunday ! Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow so cute, You really did a good job on your DIY bag!

    www.styliststeph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute DIY! You're a talented artist :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. awww the DIY is soo cute! You are very talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW. That look easy. I'm definitely trying. :)

    iamguyanese.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! I hope you will share a photo with me once you are finished with your project!

      Delete
  23. AMAZING!!!

    http://estilohedonico.blogspot.pt/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. It´s great to visit you again and find good stuffs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't think I'd have the guts to paint a vintage LV, but it's absolutely adorable! You did a great job!

    Enter to win a pair of Fantas-Eyes sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You can always try this project with any bag that needs an uplift! :)

      Delete
  26. Funny and cute!!

    xoxo

    http://www.lolitainthemix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well done on the awards :)

    You did such a good job on the bag!

    Love, Elizabeth xx

    http://butterflyboo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  28. allison, i absolutely love the way the bag turned out! great job! :)



    xoxo
    jasmine
    AdamAlexMommy

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's really too cute, you did a wonderful job on that!

    Xo, Imke

    ReplyDelete
  30. I truly admire your courage of taking plunge to paint LV. What a fab job as always! It's so cute. Mod pics please?????

    Love, Hong
    www.sassyme.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hong! I'll post mod pics soon!

      Delete
  31. What a fabulous result! And I find Hello Kitty really cute! You did a great job!
    Thank you so much for passing by my blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This DIY bag is awesome on you! I love it, what a fabulous idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for your comment!!!
    I follow you now!!!

    http://estilohedonico.blogspot.com

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is so cool! Thanks for sharing :) I need to start posting some fun DIY's on the blog! great ideas here, girl!
    xo, elle from Living in Color.

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is just the cutest thing ever! I love this idea :)

    www.stylingmylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is really cute! A sweet twist to the ordinary bag <3
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. hiya,your blog+style is lovely
    I'm following you,I'll be sooo happy if you follow me back=)

    ReplyDelete
  38. the bag is sooo cool!
    Nice blog, follow each others? :)
    FASHION SINNER
    FACEBOOK FANPAGE

    ReplyDelete
  39. really nice blog and pretty pics. follow me if you like my blog, I'll do the same!: )

    ReplyDelete
  40. wow your are an artist!!
    Lovely bag =))

    http://www.scarlletgs.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cool DIY! looks great!
    xoxo
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely bag!!!! visit my blog on http://laviecestchic.blogspot.com
    xoxo Marika

    ReplyDelete
  43. oh wow you did a great job with the DIY, it looks store bought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thank you so much! You are so sweet!

      Delete
  44. Great DIY :) Thanks for you comment on my blog, but I don't see you among my followers :( please try again darlin' because now I'm following you as I've told!
    Kisses from Italy xxx

    ENTROPHIA | BEHIND GREEN EYES
    ENTROPHIA ON BLOGLOVIN'
    ENTROPHIA FAN PAGE

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love the bag, sou cute!Love this DIY!
    It looks like you bought in a store!
    Kisses

    http://blogdavicm.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  46. OMG!! you are an artist! This is a great idea, that I can't wait to try it!

    xoxo from München
    La Vie Quotidienne
    www.laviequo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope if you try it, you will share a photo with me! :)

      Delete
  47. so cute, allison! thanks for sharing! :)
    xo, great little day

    ReplyDelete
  48. I'm now following dear....now it's your time!!! kisses

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow! Great DIY! Such a fun idea! Congrats on the awards!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.oliveandanarrow.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. i following u darling ...kisses

    ReplyDelete
  51. Really pretty hello kitty bag! And it's a great idea to try your DIY over a used bag bought from ebay... I am so going to do it myself!

    xoxo
    Wardrobe and Mirror

    Find us on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Please send me a photo of your finished project! I would love to see it!

      Delete
  52. this is so cool! nice DIY! of course, i'd love to! following you now!

    Babi

    ReplyDelete
  53. So creative!! Did you use a sealant or something to help protect from fading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there- yes I did! I sealed it so the white wouldn't turn yellow over time!

      Delete
    2. Just curious what kind you used? Would it prevent the design from rubbing off or just help lessen it? Thanks!!

      Delete
    3. I used a resin- based non-yellowing gloss varnish. You have to be very careful about using it though, because if it is sprayed excessively, it can become sticky on the bag. The design won't rub off, even if you don't use the varnish as long as you use acrylic pants, and not craft paint. The only thing the varnish does is protect it from yellowing.

      Delete
  54. I love how your bag turned out! I would be sooooo beyond scared to do this to be Louis though :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually bought the bag just for this purpose so I wasn't worried about it! You can also do this with any bag that you want to give an uplift to! :)

      Delete
  55. I think you are amazingly talented and so creative!!
    www.steffysworld.com x

    ReplyDelete