This summer I've been obsessing over the whimsical feel that floral crowns bring to a look. I love free-spirited, boho, one-with nature feeling that they encompass, and let's be honest, I'm not one with nature, so if wearing a floral crown is the closest I'll ever get as far as a "return to nature" in Nietzschean terms, then I'm all for it. And, I really just like they way that they look.
So, I went to the craft store, gathered an abundance of fake stemmed flowers and got to work. I wanted to not only create a full, colorful crown, but also a simpler version to be worn on more casual days.
Things you will need for this DIY: a long string of garland flowers- this will be used as the base of your crown (I chose ones that looked like they had baby's breath flowers strung all the way around), several stems of colorful flowers (around 6-8 large flowers to cover the front, 15-20 to go all the way around), green-colored twine & scissors.
Are you ready to begin?
1. Gather your materials. Note that you won't be using the E6000 glue- for some reason I always think I'm going to need this stuff so it makes it into my photos! :)
2. Start by cutting the strip of garland flowers to be a little longer than the circumference of your head- you'll want to make sure you have a little wiggle room once you put it together.
Here it is after it's been cut.
3. Overlap the ends, hiding one end into an area where it won't be noticeable when tied.
4. Tie the stems together, and cut the extra stem off so there isn't any overlap.
My simple version is done!!
To continue with the colorful version, keep going.
If you are making more than one, repeat steps 1-4 to set up the base for the colorful version.
5. Cut down the colorful flowers, leaving a couple inches of the stem exposed. Tie them into areas of the crown where they won't be noticeable using the green twine.
6. Keep adding more flowers & repeating this process. I'm choosing to only add flowers to the front, but you can go all the way around if you prefer.
Version #2 is complete!!
7. Wear & enjoy!
So what do you guys think? Which version do you like better?
REMEMBER that you have only a few days left to enter my $75 Shopbop giveaway! Head over to Shopbop now to dream about what you would get if you won!
Feel like doing a bit of shopping this weekend? eShakti has been kind enough to offer 10% off to readers of A's Fashion Files by entering the code AF23SXN at checkout. This can also be used on top of their sale! This offer is good through the end of the month and YES, they are the ones who sent me that gorgeous green dress.